1) Someone is standing on a ledge looking 100 stories above a city. What are his/her reasons to step back? What are his/her reasons to step forward?
2) A character attends a wedding for someone he/she used to love. Things go awry before the ceremony even starts. Write the scenes before and after the ceremony.
3) Two characters meet on a streetcar going to work and spend a year sharing their morning commute. Write their story.
4) Having almost drowned as a child, a character has avoided swimming for 20 years. They are now faced with a choice: jump in and try to save someone or cower. Write the scene.
5) A country road has a reputation for being haunted. A skeptic decides to test the theory. They are surprised by what they find. Why?
6) A year from now, a character will question every decision they have ever made in their lives. Why?